Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Arrested Occupy Protesters Told By Police: Penal Code Outstrips US Constitution

Link to article

In another fascinating exchange captured on camera, protester Joseph Hunter calmly engaged an officer in conversation, asking that he refrain from carrying out unlawful orders and instead honor the oath he has taken to uphold the Constitution.

“The answer is no, we are not going to stand down.” the officer is heard replying.

Hunter added that should the police department attempt to discipline the officer for refusing to carry out orders, the group would help the officer seek legal representation.

The officer would still have none of it, however, and again ordered the protesters to disperse, prompting an impassioned reaction from Hunter.

“Amazing, right? Isn’t that amazing?” he said. “No Constitution in America. No protection for your First Amendment, constitutional right to peaceably assemble. We’re radicals because we stand here defending our constitutional right to peaceably assemble.”

“Well, guess what? This country was founded by radicals who fought against the oppression of the country … I’m proud to be a radical, and I stand here with my brothers and my sisters at Occupy Fresno as an American. I’m a citizen of the Untied States of America and I have a First Amendment right to peaceably assemble and air my grievances against my government!” Hunter asserted.

No comments:

Post a Comment