Saturday, May 19, 2012

NDAA Veto Threat: White House Rejects Provisions of House Defense Bill

Link to article

This is what Obama said in his signing statement attached to the law on December 31, 2011 (note the date).

"The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it. In particular, I have signed this bill despite having serious reservations with certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation, and prosecution of suspected terrorists."

He went on to say basically..."don't worry, I won't use the parts I don't like." Now the new NDAA is being debated in the House and two reps, Adam Smith (D-WA) and Justin Amash (R-MI), are proposing an amendment that would curtail the section that the president supposedly had reservations about. What does the White House do? They threaten to VETO the bill if the amendment is included!
UPDATE: I guess it doesn't really matter because the amendment failed in Congress todayIf your congress critter voted against this amendment s/he is a traitor to this country. Vote them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment